Accident in Big Cottonwood

Not much on details:

www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/56604736-78/canyon-climber-rock-c>>>

By Aerili
From Salt Lake City, UT
Jul 17, 2013
Get down from there! <br /> <br />May 2013 <br />Photo by Duc

Wow, so that was a response for a climber down. We were just sitting at the light at the mouth of the canyon intersection, heading for the bar since the rain drove us out, and had to wait for two fire trucks and an ambulance to turn in front of us. I thought it seemed an excessive emergency response for a hurt climber and assumed something else happened...guess I was wrong. My partner and I almost went to Storm Mountain but I remarked the area was too prone to hosting newbies and that it was best avoided.

My best to the climber's recovery. :-(

By zenetopia
Jul 17, 2013

I was driving past storm mountain when help was arriving. I hope she is OK... anyone know who she?

By rging
From Salt Lake City, Ut
Jul 17, 2013
CoR

My partner and I were climbing by the Amphitheater and retreated seconds before the rain started. The only other climbers I saw were two people still going up something on Bumble Bee Wall. Not sure if they were the ones that ran into trouble. There were cars parked near the Slips but other than that, most climbers had sense enough to give up earlier. It could have been over at Reservoir Ridge. If you fall all the way down you would roll another 20 feet to level ground.

The news reports are so wildly inaccurate you won't find out what happened from them. The first report I heard this morning used hiker, climber, and rappeler in the same sentence to talk about the same person.

By MRock
Jul 17, 2013
Split shin after 5.9+ R lead

It might have been static wall too. That has a killer hill beneath it. Hope for a speedy recovery to the injured.

By Price
From SLC, UT
Jul 17, 2013

rging wrote:

To their credit, I have hiked, climbed, and rappelled all in one outing. Hell, I've even eaten lunch.

The "snackers" then proceeded to belay themselves across the hill pitch resulting in an undetermined slidefall of 11 newtons. Officer Gumby of the Canyon Swat Rescue Squad had this to say: 'I seen em up there and I just want the public to know drugs are bad.' More tonight at 10. And now a special report - How your keyboard is killing you.

By sfotex
From Sandy, UT
Jul 21, 2013

Heard it was a lead fall, leader was 25 above their last piece and when the rain hit and they came off, hitting some stuff on the way down.

By rging
From Salt Lake City, Ut
Jul 21, 2013
CoR

I was belaying from the top of my route and could see the storm coming. When I rapped down it wasn't raining yet but it was impending. I set up my autoblock which I always leave on my leg loop just in case. I wonder if someone didn't see it coming or was just trying to save that locking biner they should have bailed off.