Access to Horsetooth Reservoir bouldering area closed!

By RobC2
May 12, 2013
This..

buffingk@co.larimer.co.us

Land of the Overhangs parking.
Land of the Overhangs parking.

By RobC2
May 12, 2013
This..
This sign details the purported rationale for closing the Land of the Overhangs parking lot.

THIS IS TOTAL NONSENSE!

This is nothing more than a cynical ploy by Larimer County Parks and Open Lands to close a free access parking area so that those wishing to park and boulder must use a pay-only lot...
Vandalism, etc.
Vandalism, etc.

By RobC2
May 12, 2013
This..
Proof that the Land of the Overhangs parking area closure has nothing to do with controlling gangsta activity. The free 45 minute parking area south of the Rotary Bouldering area were similarly barricaded and posted recently to prevent free use of this bouldering locale forcing visitors to use the pay lot where there are ticketed if not ponying up to park...
Formally free parking at Rotary Park.
Formally free parking at Rotary Park.

By RobC2
May 12, 2013
This..
Barricading the parking area at Land of the Overhangs will not subvert gangsta activity! Case in Point is this pay area at Horsetooth Reservoir freshly graffitied by local homeboys..

Hey guess what, Gangstas are CRIMINALS they don't pay the parking fee when the stop to spray paint stuff.

Closing these areas is just a ruse to extort more money from everyday citizens, pay up or face a ticket from the army of rolling revenue collectors employed by Larimer County Park and Open Lands.

WHAT PART OF "OPEN" DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?!

Contact Gary Buffington at:

buffingk@co.larimer.co.us

Tell him your pissed and to pull those boulders out of there!
Le Crapper.
Le Crapper.

By RockinOut
From NY, NY
May 12, 2013
Gear
What kind of logic is that?? So we`ll inconvenience the vandals and drug users by making them walk in... Because thats the entire reason for the closure, not to generate revenue by forcing people to park in a pay lot.

By Bill Czajkowski
From Albuquerque, NM
May 12, 2013
Triple Jeopardy starting from 1/3 of the way up.  No good pro except at this stance and after the upcoming slab.
RobC2 wrote:
The parking area at Land of the Overhangs bouldering area at Horsetooth Reservoir has been arbitrarily closed by Larimer County Parks and Open Lands. I have parked in this area for the past 21 years the area is now barricaded off and posted ostensibly owing to "vandalism and illegal drug use... " This is in fact an effort by Larimer County Parks and Open Lands to prevent "free" use of the park under the guise of controlling gangsta activity. If you object to this de facto closure of a popular bouldering locale in an attempt to further fleece the inhabitants of Larimer County then write to Larimer County Parks and Open Lands Director Gary Buffington at: buffingk@co.larimer.co.us

Your choice of words makes me dislike you more than them.

By adamx
May 12, 2013
Bill Czajkowski wrote:
Your choice of words makes me dislike you more than them.

Yeaaaa......

By Elijah Flenner
May 13, 2013
Before jumping to conclusions, I think a look at this years change of policies would suggest that Larimer County Parks and Open Lands are not trying to prevent "free" use of the park. A recent change of policy is that you no longer have to have a permit to walk, run, or bike into the park. Thus, their official policy actually increases the amount of free use. Note that in years past, if you mountain biked into the park you were supposed to pay the daily fee or have a yearly permit (according to rangers I talked to about this). I am unsure about the land of the overhang rules, but I would be surprised that if you bouldered there you were supposed to have a permit. However, I don't know of anyone who ever got ticketed, and I don't know of anyone who ever got ticket for biking without a permit.

By Preston
From fort collins,colorado
May 15, 2013
Being a broke dirt bag climber I am kinda bummed about this...I wouldn't want to pay $70 for a year pass to Larimer county open space. Why do that when you can get a year pass to Eldo state park, or even Lory State Park to climb arthur's rock which has an abundance of bouldering and sport climbing with potential for new routes....sucks the free parking is gone at rotary ....whats next parking fee's at Duncan's ridge?