A PLEA TO ALL CLIMBERS
   Page 1 of 6.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>

By Robbie Mackley
From Tucson, AZ
May 8, 2013
Me and Holden at the "Matterhorn"

Please carry a head net on your harness at all times. After being rescued from a killer bee attack, the recent attacks in the Tucson area, and the recent death of Steve Johnson. We ALL need to carry them. Good luck out there, and be aware!
Much love to my community.
-Mackley

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
May 8, 2013
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

An epipen would be good. The allergic reaction is the problem with bee stings.

By Eric Engberg
May 8, 2013

I'll insist that my gym stock them.

By Steven Groetken
From Durango, CO
May 8, 2013
On top of Hitchcock Pinnacle.

Definitely be cognizant of your surroundings. Reports have said that killer bee activity in regards to size of hives and overall aggression is extraordinarily high this time of year in So. AZ.

By Geir
From Tucson, AZ
Toofast

I am putting one in my multipitch pack.

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
May 9, 2013
You stay away from mah pig!

So, a guy dies and we get an animated GIF thread? Classy.

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Stabby

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Day Lily.

Mike Lane wrote: Perhaps the AZ/NM community should

22 mins ago From Centennial,

+1. Yes it is more work but I don't see it being ridiculous. Many humans are allergic, many humans are allergic but can withstand 1-2 stings (the most common) but what about 5, 10, 15? The dude that just passed was stung by 100+ the article said. It makes sense to warn people as the info becomes known.

How would you feel if you knew of a hive right on a route, didn't say anything, and later found someone got injured or died on it? I would pause for sure and come to the conclusion that a 1 min report is worth it.

By meghan c.
From san antonio, tx
zion

This unfortunate event is a wake up call to us all. Just when you though you are a safe climber and addressed all of the variables ... killer bees. The epi pen and antihistamines sound like good proactive measures, but Im not sure how a head net would really make a difference in a mass attack. Tight fitting sunglasses would probably prevent debilitating eye stings, but a hundred stings to the head will likely be as fatal as a hundred stings anywhere else. Or am I missing something? I do wear a head net while keeping bees and nothing else special except for light colored clothing. Dark colors make bees more likely to sting.

By slk
From Reno, NV
me

"So, a guy dies and we get an animated GIF thread? Classy."

Never has Guideline #1 been so fitting.

OP you should nuke this thread.

By Robbie Mackley
From Tucson, AZ
May 9, 2013
Me and Holden at the "Matterhorn"

It's absolutely disgracefull that you all find so much humor in the horrific death of a fellow climber.
Thanks to everyone with something to actually contribute to this thread.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

By Robbie Mackley
From Tucson, AZ
May 9, 2013
Me and Holden at the "Matterhorn"

meghan c. wrote:

After being rescued from a bee attack, August 2010, I can tell you sunglasses are worthless and giving yourself the ability to keep bees out of your nose eyes mouth and ears will buy more time to conduct a self rescue. If I had mine with me I could have saved a lot of heart ache, not to mention $30000 and 6 days in the cardiac unit at St. Joseph's hospital.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

oh, and:

WU TANG FOREVER

By Robbie Mackley
From Tucson, AZ
May 9, 2013
Me and Holden at the "Matterhorn"

Stich wrote:
An epipen would be good. The allergic reaction is the problem with bee stings.

It's a good idea, but when being swarmed the thousands of bees is the problem. Someone with an allergy would likely be in big trouble after 10 or so eppi pen or not. That said, I'm not allergic, but still carry one.

By Robbie Mackley
From Tucson, AZ
May 9, 2013
Me and Holden at the "Matterhorn"

Ben Brotelho wrote:
Those africanized bees are only problems in select areas, but ALL CLIMBERS should be carrying head nets now? haha We should all carry puffy jackets at ALL TIMES because climbers have been killed by the cold!

Don't take so much offense to my suggestion. You guys with the negative feedback should get a fuckin life. Go climb or something.

By superkick
From West Hartford, CT
Free Solo up hitchcock gully WI3

really no one psoted the youtube of nicholas cage screaming about the bees yet?

im dissapointed.

By Jeremy Hand
slopey

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU97w2DH5mc

By Robbie Mackley
From Tucson, AZ
May 9, 2013
Me and Holden at the "Matterhorn"

mountainproject.com/images/96/83/106869683_large_343e3f.jpg
This is me after 1500+ stings. It's nothing to fuck around with or joke about. Thank you for your time.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

Robbie Mackley wrote:

No offense taken! Just finding the humor in it.

By thomas ellis
From abq
Mint jullop

Ben, what the fuck is wrong with you?

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

By Matt Desenberg
From North Berwick, ME
May 9, 2013

I'm all for humor but some of you people are fucked in the head.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

Mike Lane wrote:
Perhaps the AZ/NM community should start some sort of a database here flagging locations of hives when they are discovered. Red flag these warnings on the wall page right up front, also again on the route page. Make them highly visible. I know it's more work for the local admin., but hey...

This, however, is a good suggestion.

By todd w
May 9, 2013

Spread of killer bees up until 2003, from wikipedia.

Climate change will make it worse, no doubt.

By Robbie Mackley
From Tucson, AZ
May 9, 2013
Me and Holden at the "Matterhorn"

Ben Brotelho wrote:
For finding humor in the suggestion that all climbers should carry head nets all the time? I'm not sure. I am not making light of his incident, as it sounded terrible, but it was an odd suggestion, no?

Not an odd suggestion. What is the one piece of gear common to all bee keepers? All I suggest is the small, think the size of your tampax, head net. Mine is made by sea to summit, available at REI for about $9. The kind common to backpackers and fishermen.

Page 1 of 6.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>