Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
A new lightest carabiner?

By DannyUncanny
From Vancouver
Dec 23, 2012

Just noticed this little guy. Anyone heard of it?

www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Climbing/Carabiners/PRD~5031-663/edel>>>

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Dec 24, 2012
Cleo's Needle

Do you like really small caribiners?

By Woodchuck ATC
Dec 24, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

these are for 98 lb 5.14 guys who climb on 8.8 ropes I guess. I know I can't even get my fingers on it to open or close gate.

By dancesatmoonrise
Dec 24, 2012

I like the Camp Nano 23's for alpine where there's a long approach and/or several days out.

Metolius makes a small biner that is a tad smaller than the Nano 23 and they definitely are tough to use. The Nano's aren't bad though.

How much smaller are these new ones vs. the Nano 23?

By TWK
Dec 24, 2012

I recommend drilling holes in all your carabiners to lighten them.

By Benjamin Chapman
From Small Town, USA
Dec 24, 2012
old 1/4" bolt.

How's about drilling some holes in TWK's head to let some light in. If you can't contribute something constructive and/or beneficial go back to watching South Park reruns. Personally, I like all the new lightweight carabiners and draws, but they take a bit of practice and patience to work with.

By 20 kN
From Hawaii
Dec 24, 2012

I would use them for aid climbing where I am sitting on a daisy chain and I am able to clip any biner with both hands. But for free climbing, no thanks. The weight savings will not help when it is compounded by the additional five seconds you spend trying to clip the thing hanging from a crappy sloper pumped to all hell.

By Reginald McChufferton
Dec 24, 2012

Have any of you guys that are claiming its too small actually used this biner? I agree the minis are PITA toys but the nanos aren't a problem for me. These look like they be sweet for an alpine rack.

By TWK
Dec 24, 2012

Benjamin Chapman wrote:

The points you missed were the implied questions:
How light does it really have to be?
What are the safety (strength) tradeoffs in ultralight gear?

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Dec 24, 2012
Bocan

TWK wrote:
The points you missed were the implied questions: How light does it really have to be? What are the safety (strength) tradeoffs in ultralight gear? It reminds BITD when we would drill out the brake levers, shift levers, chain rings, and crank arms on our road bikes, hoping to save a few grams on a 22 lb bike ridden by a 175 lb person. Lightening gear is great, but at what point is it irrelevant everywhere except in a forum?

haha yeah it's just a marketing ploy to capitalize on the OCD nature of climbers. I've seen the ultralight thing come and go and come again. Sure ounces equal pounds but at some point you have to ask yourself if you are just feeding the OCD monster. Save it for the people wearing lycra, and no that doesn't mean Hank.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Dec 24, 2012

been using them since the tradeshow in August. They're definitely small- about the same size as the Metolius FS, but their shape makes them about the same handling as a Nano 23. I was using them for bolt end on a few draws, but have since relegated them to accessory use- they're too small for my taste. (I dont like the Nano, either- i prefer full sized carabiners- WC Heliums most of the time).

For the record, they were surprisingly easy to use as a bolt end carabiner- a bit freaky due to their size and weight (20kn, 7kn, 7kn ratings, as i recall).

they're pricey little bastards, too- $12 a pop retail.