A New Challenge for North Carolina!

By Jon Kulikowski
Feb 7, 2013
Trusty old Coyotes.
So my partner Nathan Hitchcock and I decided to try linking a few of the popular moderates in Linville Gorge. We started yesterday morning and climbed Jim Dandy, North Ridge, The Mummy, The Daddy and The Prow in 8h 55m 2s. We're calling this marathon The Linville Classic. This was our first run at it and I had to onsight The Mummy and The Prow, so there is lots of room for improvement. Let's see what you can do!

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Feb 7, 2013
Day Lily.
Right on for having an eye for freshness. I also appreciate that you're trying to motivate others. What else can YOU do? What's next?

I'm trying to see if I can spice things up by linking routes that you normally couldn't by free climbing or aiding by incorporating the big wall pendulum technique. These crags are no higher than 125ft so its totally odd but awesome! Fun stuff. Enjoy!

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Feb 7, 2013
Thats a neat idea and great work though half of the routes i wouldn't consider moderate.

The next level would be to link some moderates across the linville crags including the gold coast side: Dopey Duck, Cracker Jack, Lost in Space, Buried Tressure etc...

I know Pat goodman did some sort of killer linkup

By todd w
Feb 7, 2013
Jon Kulikowski wrote:

Damn, must have been a long day. That's not an easy hike in between those areas...

By Steve86
Feb 7, 2013
For reference:

Linkup thread

By Jon Kulikowski
Feb 7, 2013
Trusty old Coyotes.
todd w wrote:

To be honest, I thought I was going to puke twice.

By Preston Sparks
From Augusta, GA
Feb 8, 2013
Hey how was the weather? I was thinking about going to NC this weekend. Not sure if I wanted to climb at Table Rock or Looking Glass. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the Nose would be warm enough on saturday?

Preston

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Feb 8, 2013
if the temperature around noone is 40 and up you'll be toasty warm on the nose...it does stay in the shade until about late morning

By Keith Robinson
Feb 8, 2013
Fitzroy09
Now your talking. I am always trying to link as many as possible. Get a little reminder of long alpine routes here in NC!

I have climbed Good Heavens, The Mummy, The Daddy, The Prow, The North Ridge, Hidden Crack and Cracker Jack in about 8 hours. Simuling all routes but Crackerjack. Many of the other OB instructors get out and do these days frequently because of the proximity of the routes to work.

I also soloed all those except crackerjack but including slipping into darkness/helmet/my route finish. All in about 5 hrs.

I am going to do a big TR link up day. I would like to climb as many quality routes 5.9 or less on TR in a link up. I am thinking of linking:

Garbage Disposal, Crackerjack, Hanging High to 2nd Stanza, White Lightning, North Ridge to Rip Van, Hidden Crack, Peek-a-boo(rap off 2nd), Jim Dandy, Slippin'.

I did the first six in a day many years ago. There are some other good routes that could be thrown in maybe.

By Rick Carpenter
From Banner Elk, NC
Feb 8, 2013
Dey Took Yer Jeb!!!
The linville link up has been around quiet awhile, generally something like 20ish miles of hiking and around 30 pitches of climbing involved. Nothing new just usually more moderate routes

By burlap submariner
Feb 9, 2013
Awesome, love the motivation. In the northeast we have a number of awesome girdle traverses of all the larger cliffs, up to 22 pitches of downclimbing, ledge walking, and rapelling.

By Jon Kulikowski
Apr 24, 2013
Trusty old Coyotes.
So, my partner and I revisited The Classic yesterday and clocked a time of 5:33:01. It can definitely be beaten and I would love to see some other teams cut time off of this!

By Brad Caldwell
From Deep in the Jocassee Gorges
Apr 24, 2013
Why dont you shoot for the already established and much better known Linville Link Up instead? Seems like more of a challenge and climbs more challenging routes than what you're doing already...definitely more of a challenge than linking a bunch of 5.boyscout routes.

By Jon Kulikowski
Apr 24, 2013
Trusty old Coyotes.
I looked for info on that, couldn't find it. I guess I'll have to stay in the Weblos for a bit longer.

By Jonathan Dull
From Boone, NC
Apr 24, 2013
Edge of a Dream
You should try the Linville Crusher (some call this the linkup I believe) next; a route at Shortoff, The Amphitheater, Table Rock, Hawksbill, and Sitting Bear.

By Mike Flanagan
From Boone, NC
Apr 7, 2014
Missing one formation jonathan. The true linkup includes sitting bear, hawksbill, table rock, nc wall, ampitheater, and shortoff. Some folks have done the prow (technically on the NC wall) in lieu of other routes given falcon closures and such. A great adventure for sure! The crux is the hike to shortoff from the ampitheater!

By Mike Flanagan