a climber travelling to Finland

By Ari Kantola
From Raleigh, NC
Jul 19, 2013
Sooo....I'll be headed to Finland Aug. 6-26 to attend my brothers wedding. I'll be in Tampere drinking Finnish beer, but I'm bringing my rack and plan on getting some good lead practice on the mini-crags my mossy homeland has to offer. I figure it would be a slim chance anyone will be out there, as it's not exactly a climbers destination. Thought I'd ask anyway. Also has anyone been out there before? Do we have any Finnish climbers out there with helpful info? Looks like Turku has the most to offer(which isn't much).

Thank you in advance, wonderful people of MP
Ari

By Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Jul 21, 2013
Andrew Gram
I'd stick to drinking Lapin Kulta if I were you. If you need variety, hop a ferry to Estonia and drink beer in Tallinn. I've never seen anything worth trying to climb in Finland, though it didn't take long for me to give up looking.

Road biking there is awesome though, especially in Aland.

By tks
From Boston, MA
Jul 22, 2013
Don't forget the koskenkourva! Hyvaa Suomi!

By Ari Kantola
From Raleigh, NC
Jul 22, 2013
Andrew thanks! I was there years ago, but hadnt started climbing yet. Maybe I'll just bring my shoes and chalk, heard there were a few boulders. I wonder where the nearst sport climbing destination be. All the way in Germany? I plan on camping at least out there. Biking sounds cool too.

Palio kosenkourva, tks! Kiipis!

By Fat Dad
From Los Angeles, CA
Jul 22, 2013
Lots of stuff in Sweden, which isn't that far away as you probably know. I saw a few erratics scattered here and there over a couple of weeks I spent there, but little else. Enjoy the beer, cider, long summer evening and, if you're single, the attractive Finnish women (I was there with my Finnish girlfriend--also attending a wedding so was limited in that last respect).

I think the thing we did that I liked best was hopping a train and visiting St. Petersburg. Awesome city that is worth trying to visit since you'll kind of be in the neighborhood.

By Andrew Gram
From Salt Lake City, UT
Jul 23, 2013
Andrew Gram
I was there with my Finnish wife so I was also limited, but Fat Dad speaks the truth.

You could probably do some bouldering if you really looked for it. The whole country is granite, it has just been steamrollered flat. The fortress park on the island in Helsinki's harbor would be a good place to go looking for bouldering.

If you haven't been to Sweden, taking the ferry over to Stockholm(the best party in Finland) and then heading to the climbing areas there would be great fun.

By Ari Kantola
From Raleigh, NC
Jul 23, 2013
Thanks Fat Dad, and Andrew. I've heard of this "party ferry". To clarify, I'm going with my youngest brother(both single), and were kind of planning that already. Also my brother that is getting married plays pro hockey out there, so I'll kind of be hanging with "rock stars". I don't think I'll get much climbing in. But...Swedish bouldering gals......you are a genius Andrew.

By jim.dangle
Jul 23, 2013
I think there is some pretty good climbing there. Probably mostly single pitch. And there are definitely some nice boulders.

Check this site and use the forums to ask if someone will show you around.

slouppi.net/

I wouldn't be afraid to post in English.

Fins are fun and like any smaller country most will be delighted to show a visitor around.

JIm

By Ari Kantola
From Raleigh, NC
Jul 23, 2013
Thanks for the info Jim! I had checked that site out, and will be posting on it soon. There may be hope yet for some climbing...