Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
A chunk of history from waaay back

By Woodchuck ATC
Apr 6, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Sorry to say that as I cleaned out my long overdue garage bins of whatever, I tossed out my 30 years of Climbing, Rock and Ice, Summit, Mountain Gazette and other print materials. But I found a folder full of really old tags and brochures and thought I'd share a couple of the really good ones. Enjoy a piece of history, most from late 70's and early 80's.
Original Jumar and Edelweiss rope purchase tags. A GPIW/Chouinard brochure with possibly some of the first Patagonia clothing listed. New England Alpine Gear price sheet.( great deals!) A CMI Figure 8 brochure. It's good for belaying and load lowering too! Finally a Royal Robbins 'Mountaincraft Telluride' climbing instruction brochure. I think it came with my purchase of his 2 instructional books back then. The fee for a day guided up Lizard Head was 50 bucks. Only 40 for Ames or Ophir walls. Hard to believe how reasonable the costs were back then.

Jumar and Edelweiss
Jumar and Edelweiss

from the Great Pacific Iron Works catalogs
from the Great Pacific Iron Works catalogs

Does anyone know if New England Alpine gear is also New England Ropes?
Does anyone know if New England Alpine gear is also New England Ropes?

The popular CMI 'Figure 8, along with the Sticht plate, were the belay devices of the era.

None other than the man himself, Royal Robbins as your climbing guide for a day.

By Andy Librande
From Denver, CO
Apr 7, 2011
Me in the Buddha Cave at crumblewood a while ago.

Awesome stuff.

Really love the "Patagonia Software"...should have trademarked that.

By Woodchuck ATC
Apr 7, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Andy Librande wrote:
Awesome stuff. Really love the "Patagonia Software"...should have trademarked that.

I thought they did. Recall seeing that term on many a catalog in the past. Somewhere I know I have the early classic 70's Chouinard catalogs intact,,just can't find them yet.

By Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Apr 7, 2011
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on stage

The WHEEEEEE on the CMI ring is hilarious

By Woodchuck ATC
Apr 7, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Alicia Sokolowski wrote:
The WHEEEEEE on the CMI ring is hilarious

Kinda screams wild uncontrolled rappelling bozo overhead. But it was pretty popular to just grab your goldline rope and figure 8 and go rappel back in the 70's.

By Martin le Roux
From Superior, CO
Apr 7, 2011
Stairway to Heaven

Woodchuck ATC wrote:

...except that a job that pays $50-60k p.a. today would have paid $10-15k p.a. in the late 70s.

Interesting that the price of climbing gear has actually come down by about 50% in inflation-adjusted terms. $4 for a biner or $30 for a harness was pretty steep relative to average earnings back then.

By Mark Roth
From Boulder
Apr 7, 2011
not climbing

Tossed???? Probably an E-bay goldmine!

By Woodchuck ATC
Apr 7, 2011
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Mark Roth wrote:
Tossed???? Probably an E-bay goldmine!

Not really. They were stored in damp garage and mice did some chewing on most issues.