95 feet climb. Will 60 meter rope be okay

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Mar 10, 2010
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering

So I'm planning on going to new jack city this Sunday and I want to climb Hole In One 5.11a and a few other climbs that said to be 95 feet tall. I have a 60M rope and after calculating it comes out to be about 196 feet. This climb is 95 feet, times that by 2 for belaying or rapelling down = 190 feet. I will only have about 6 feet of play. Would you guys suggest to stay away and/or get a 70M rope or will my 60M be okay.

By bevans
Mar 11, 2010

By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
Mar 11, 2010
on top of the RNWF <br />June 2012

it'll be fine, with rope stretch you'll make the ground no problem, but, to be safe, knot the ends.

By koreo
From Denver, CO
Mar 11, 2010
sloping <br />

I've done this a few times. Just make sure you tie stopper nots in the end of your rope. There are a few 100 foot routes in clear creek that I've used a sixty meter rope on. just make sure you and the belayer are paying attention.

By John Maguire
From Boulder, CO
Mar 11, 2010
Bastille Crack Final Pitch

Even better than stopper knots (IMO), have both the climber and the belayer tied into the rope.

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Mar 11, 2010
Stabby

Better yet, make sure your rope's halfway point is marked accurately, tie the ends together and rap off. Better for the anchors.

By duh
Mar 11, 2010

You will be OK on Hole In One with a 60, you lower off to a higher terrace than the route starts on. The route to be carefull on is Sky's The Limit, depending on the actual length and stretch of your rope, it will take every bit of your 60 to get down. The rope will go through the belay device just as your feet touch down. Fantasia is also quite long and will use most or all of your 60 to get down.

By Lee Smith
Mar 11, 2010
You can love your rope but you can't "LOVE" your rope! <br />(Back by Popular Demand.  There you are Mom) <br /> <br />

It might be a good idea to physically measure your rope as well. Some 60 meters ain't.

By Darren Mabe
From Flagstaff, AZ
Mar 11, 2010
wham bam hand jam. Wrapping up the final moves of Twist of Fate, Oak Creek Canyon. <br /> <br />photo: Blake McCord

Lee Smith wrote:

true, but some "95 foot" routes ain't

By Lee Smith
Mar 11, 2010

WiledHorse wrote:
true, but some "95 foot" routes ain't

True, but 6 inches is 6 inches, except when it ain't.

By Darren Mabe
From Flagstaff, AZ
Mar 11, 2010

Lee Smith wrote:
True, but 6 inches is 6 inches, except when it ain't.

depends on who/what you measure with

EDIT: for example, "with stretch" is neither precise nor accurate from one climber and their rope to another.

By Mike Anderson
From Dayton, OH
Mar 11, 2010

John Maguire wrote:

One is not better than the other, except that one makes you look like an idiot at a sport crag, and will make it hard to get twists out of your rope. Though I will hand it to you, it's a lot easier to be "sure" there is a not in the rope when it is tied to you.

By RNclimber
From Riverside, Ca
Mar 13, 2010
Seconds before onsighting Gun Smoke V3, Joshua Tree bouldering

to duh: hey, I posted some questions in New Jack City forum page, I was wondering if you can answer some of the questions. It seems like you were the one that bolted the routes there or know a lot of the info about it?

My question was regarding the crag North of Ravens Rock North Face, it sits in the same platform as Ravens Rock. Look like it had 2 bolted routes on the south/east face of it? And also if you knew any info on the bolder problem at the bottom of Hueco wall