Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
5.10 Asym Shoe Repair

By Preston Sparks
From Augusta, GA
Feb 25, 2013

Ive got some old Asyms that I am trying to hold on to as long as I can. Some of the rubber is starting to peel a little bit and I was wondering what kind of epoxy I should use to tack it back down. Any suggestions?

my shoes
my shoes

By DoesNotCare
From Heaven
Feb 25, 2013
Are you Chicken, or fishy?

You can try Barge Cement, if it was me I would ignore and have a rand/half sole put on when the time is right. Also I think the actual name on these shoe is the Hueco, which they currently are making in white. I've heard good things about them. I think Asym has to do with the shape of the shoe, or the 'S' shape of the lacing pattern, but I just may be 100% wrong.

If you do try Barge Cement then you might want to heat the area around the de-lamming rubber up with a blow dryer and pull back another 1/2 inch of rubber, then try to sand the rubber side til the glue is removed, then put a thin layer of glue on both the rubber and leather side, let it dry before pressing really hard together. Using Barge cement is good because it works well and it allows the resoler to remove the rubber, if you use shoe goo or something similar you'll make a mess and it be as easy for the resoler in the future.

By DoesNotCare
From Heaven
Feb 25, 2013
Are you Chicken, or fishy?

Is this the same shoe?

www.outdoorreview.com/cat/product-archives/outdoor-equipment>>>

Here is the new Hueco:
www.gearcoop.com/Five-Ten-Hueco-Rock-Climbing/dp/B004KWEU4Q?>>>

By Preston Sparks
From Augusta, GA
Feb 26, 2013

thanks for the info, i may just keep going til its time to resole. Im not sure if the hueco is the same shoe or not. These have a tag that says Asym on it. There are prob 10 years old now. I was looking at getting La Sportiva Mythos cause they sound similar (good all day all around crack shoe).

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Feb 26, 2013

Preston Sparks wrote:

for the love of god, the mythos doesnt do anything well besides being comfortable for some folks... try on some shoes man. We have an excellent assortment of gear shops in the SE between Looking Glass Outfitters, Unique Outfitters, or any number of gear shops.

By DoesNotCare
From Heaven
Feb 26, 2013
Are you Chicken, or fishy?

Five ten put the same tag on several shoes back then. I'm pretty sure they are the hueco which is a lot stiffer than the floppy mythos.