4 season tent dilema

By Travis Lubinski
Mar 24, 2013
Me on Orizaba at 18K lovin life
So I'm torn between a few tents and can't seem to make up my gosh darn mind on which route to go. So I'm looking for any feed back I can get on them. Anything, good or bad. I'm also open to other suggestions if you feel you might have a comparable tent.

I think I have it narrowed down to 3. The BD Tempest, BD I-Tent w/vestibule and an MSR Fury. They all weigh about the same, pack the same and have pretty close to the same amount of space. 2 of them are single walled and the MSR is a double wall. Doesn't matter to me which route I go as I have a feeling the tent may get sold once I return. I already way too many tents :). Just nothing to withstand the torture this mountain could dish out.

The tent will be used for a climb up Aconcagua for just myself and gear. So it needs to be pretty bomb proof. Shopping around the interwebz I can these all for about the same amount of $$$.

Any thoughts, input, other?

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Mar 24, 2013
Setting up a fly in windy conditions sucks and the I-tent is ~3lbs lighter for what its worth. I have no experience with any of these. The I-tent has the smallest space/footprint size as well so more likely to fit your needs

I would also look at Integral Designs MK 1 or 2?

MK 2 Tent

By Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Mar 24, 2013
Dreamweaver

By Dave77
From Watertown, NY
Mar 24, 2013
me in NH
Dave Bn wrote:
If you're going to sell the tent when you return you should just put the money into a Hilleburg. These tents are lightweight and bombproof. If you turn around and sell it for 20% less than you paid for retail (i.e. $150 less) you will likely have people fighting over buying it from you.

+1 for Hilleburg

I own a Jannu, weighs about 1 lb more than an i-tent (i own one of those as well) but is a double wall, sets up super fast, bomb-proof, and very spacious. Yes it is a little more $$$ but i am sure you will be able to sell it rather quickly when you return.

By Travis Lubinski
Mar 24, 2013
Me on Orizaba at 18K lovin life
I should have added that I need something with a floorless vestibule. The I-tent and vestibule will weigh a whopping 6-10oz less than the tempest according to BD's website. So it's almost a wash.

The Fury could be a chore to set up on Aconcagua. But then again if it's blowing 60+MPH setting up anything is going to be a pain in the hinder. But I do like the simplicity of the I-Tent.

I really don't want to drop $800 on a Hilleberg. While it would be nice it's just not going to happen. There's too much else to buy/pay for in regards to this trip. I would probably love it so much I'd end up keeping it.

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Mar 24, 2013
Mountian hardwear EV2 is probably the easiet to set up out of these tents and is about the same

summitpost.org/phpBB3/mountain...

By Travis Lubinski
Mar 24, 2013
Me on Orizaba at 18K lovin life
Thanks but I've ruled out the EV 2 due to the vestibule having a floor.

By Mark Wyss
From Denver, CO
Mar 24, 2013
Mt. Baker
Another vote for Hilleburg. They also make one man tents that have big vestibules which is an option. The Jannu is a two man tent but will have room for all of your stuff. It got stellar reviews on oudoor gear lab.

outdoorgearlab.com/4-Season-Te...

Too bad the timing is a little off. I won't need mine till '14. I would be the first man in line to buy it from you when you got back to the states.

By bevans
Mar 24, 2013
EV2 is an excellent tent for a solo trip up Aconcagua. Used one myself. Easy to pitch, plenty of guylines, more stable than the BD/Bibler variety, easy to cook inside, zip open floor to sweep out snow/water from cooking inside, lightweight, roomy for one, adequate for two.

Why are you stuck on the floorless vestibule?

edit to add: fwiw - I've used I-Tents, Hilleberg's, Marmot Alpinists, MHW Trango's, TNF Mountain 25's, EV2's, and others. All nice tents for different purposes. If I were going back to Aconcagua solo, I'd take an EV2.

By Travis Lubinski
Mar 24, 2013
Me on Orizaba at 18K lovin life
Yeah they all appear to be really solid tents. Some too pricey, some too heavy others like the EV 2 would be the tent of choice but I'm really hoping to get something floorless for cooking, and digging out a hole for wind protection while cooking.

I can't see trying to burn the MSR Simmerlite inside that tent. Can you say POOF! lol. Maybe in the vestibule if I'm lucky. I dunno.... guess that's why I'm here and still haven't made up my mind.

Mark, this trip isn't happening until next climbing season, 12/2013-1/2014. You give me a small down payment now and I'll let you have it when I get home at a fair price. Unless it burns to the ground :)

By bevans
Mar 24, 2013
A small stove platform inside the tent for base-camp is entirely adequate if you are competent and aware with your (liquid fuel) stove. Take a canister stove (Jetboils or MSR Pocket Rockets are perfect) for high camp for less weight and mindlessly easy meal prep.

like i said, ymmv, but it is entirely possible to cook inside an EV2 safely...with liquid fuel or canister.

good luck either way.

another edit: no reason a canister stove wouldn't work the entire way if you want to save weight and plan your food accordingly. In which case, cooking inside the tent becomes a complete non-issue.

By Travis Lubinski
Mar 29, 2013
Me on Orizaba at 18K lovin life
my incompetent cooking/stove abilities has ordered a BD Tempest. The price was too good to pass up and I think it will do everything I need it to do.

Thanks for all responses, they did help me in making a final decision.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Mar 29, 2013
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
try this one if the tempest fails you

By Travis Lubinski
Mar 30, 2013
Me on Orizaba at 18K lovin life
I think I'll pick one of those up as a back up - lol. It would definitely get some looks on the mtn.

By The Stoned Master
From Pennsylvania
Mar 30, 2013
Day Lily.
I have the Fury and its BOMBER. However it fucking sucks to set up! I do not reccomend the Fury for anything too extreme (even though it can more than handle the conditions). Setting the tent up solo can be a chore, add wind and it can be (can be, doesn't have to be) frustrating.

Just my experience.

By wankel7
From Indiana
Mar 30, 2013
campsaver.com/tenshi-tent-2-pe...

Interesting design....you can leave the vestibule at home if you want and it brings the tent down to under 5 lbs.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Mar 30, 2013
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
I would guess that the Tempest is gonna work OK. It seems like a pretty sturdy one.

By Kai Larson
From Sandy, Utah
Mar 31, 2013
Tour Ronde North Face
This one is pretty light, at well under 3 pounds.

Has a vestibule:

Brooks Range Propel tent.

brooks-range.com/Propel-Tent.h...

By wankel7
From Indiana
Mar 31, 2013
Kai Larson wrote:
This one is pretty light, at well under 3 pounds. Has a vestibule: Brooks Range Propel tent. brooks-range.com/Propel-Tent.h...

hummmmm that is a good looking tent...there might be an ev2 up for sale :p

By Edward Gerety
From Miami, FL
Apr 1, 2013
Probably doesn't matter all that much. Weather on Aconcagua isn't nearly as bad as a lot of other places. If you speak Spanish, sell it in Mendoza before you go home. You'll get more.

By Travis Lubinski
Apr 3, 2013
Me on Orizaba at 18K lovin life
Thanks guys but if you look a few posts up from me I already bought a BD Tempest. It actually was delivered today.

Aconcagua is no place for a tent like the Brooks Range Propel. Just watch this video and you'll understand.