3-4 days for bouldering/climbing in SLC area

By Joe Varela
Sep 10, 2012
View from Malander's Passage

CO front-range climbers coming to SLC for 3-4 days later this month for bouldering, sport, and/or trad. Any recommendations for day trips around SLC? Areas and routes. Never been to SLC for climbing before. :-(

By Spencer Daniels
From Sandy,utah
Sep 10, 2012
leading the first pitch

I would check out little cottonwood canyon. Lots of trad,Bouldering and some great routes at hellgate

By CareBear
From SLC, UT
Sep 11, 2012

If you are really stoked on bouldering Joe's Valley is worth the trip, although it is just starting to cold down.
Maple Canyon, also a bit of a drive, is pretty sweet and I haven't seem much climbing like it in my short career.
American Fork also has come real good sport climbing, and little cottonwood has good trad and bouldering.
All four of those listed have different rock so you can get something different everyday.

By Joe Varela
Sep 12, 2012
View from Malander's Passage

Thanks guys!

By Austin Baird
From SLC, Utah
Sep 12, 2012
Me scaring years off my mom's life

Maple Canyon and City of Rocks. The City is only about 2:30 from SLC. I'd spend two days there, one day in Maple, (about 2:30 the opposite direction), and then one day in Little Cottonwood. Unless you're looking to get in a lot of mileage on hard sport routes, I wouldn't spend a day at AF. It's great for what it is (moderate to hard sport routes) but it's not in the top 3 or 4 areas up here.

By jeffozozo
From santa clara, utah
Sep 12, 2012
me

Maple canyon is indeed incredible. You should get out there if you can.

If you want to stay in SLC area, then I'd recommend these places:

Big Cottonwood:

www.mountainproject.com/v/challenge-buttress/105739452

www.mountainproject.com/v/s-curve---the-pile/105739371 (any of the S-Curve areas are awesome)

www.mountainproject.com/v/storm-mountain-picnic-area/1057983>>>

Little Cottonwood:

www.mountainproject.com/v/gate-buttress/106002442

www.mountainproject.com/v/black-peeler-buttress/105739721

www.mountainproject.com/v/pentapitch-area/105739356

These are easy to find and easy to access and host some really good routes.

By Bouldering Portal
Sep 15, 2012
Scott Sanchez bouldering at the Tram

It has been several years since I was at city of Rocks, but the climbing and the scenery are amazing. Joshua tree with holds is the bet description I have heard of the place.

By OldManRiver
From Cottonwood Heights, UT
Sep 15, 2012
Red Rock, Cannibal crag

If you want to climb in the alpine you can head up to Albion Basin in LCC (Alta) though it may be cold up there late Sept.

Rock canyon is pretty cool too, scenic and some good sport routes.

By Tim Golden
From Salt Lake City, UT
Sep 20, 2012
Top roping Bad Case of Gingervitus

Big and Little Cottonwood alone could keep you busy for weeks, let alone 3-4 days. LCC has tons of multipitch trad routes and some good sport stuff near the top (Albian Basin and Hellgate if you don't mind a little choss). It also has tons of amazing bouldering with little to no approach. BCC has more sport that I like. S curves for harder stuff, and Challenge Buttress and the Slips for easy to moderate stuff.

City of Rocks is definitely worth checking out but it's pretty far for a day trip. It would be better to camp at least one night. If you like hard, overhanging sport, then American Fork is where it's at in the SLC area. Maple is great too, but a little farther away.