Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
2nd Annual Wisconsin Climber's Party

By Mr. Mix
From Sauk City, WI
Apr 1, 2013
Zane and me

Kicking the climbing season off with a party, Saturday, May 11th, 2013! Climb hard on Saturday at Devil's Lake and then come party and camp out on the Wisconsin River Saturday evening (6 p.m.). Mike's Mix and the Wisconsin Climbers Association (WCA) are excited to co-sponsor this event to celebrate the spirit of Wisconsin climbing and its community.
Pebble wrestlers to old school traditionalists are welcome at the celebration. Anyone excited about Wisconsin climbing and their significant others are encouraged to attend (please be over 21 though). This is a great opportunity for the entire Wisconsin climbing community to get to know one another. The party, located on the property of Mike and Melissa Lohre (Mr. and Mrs. Mix) approximately 20 minutes from Devil's Lake, is on the beautiful Wisconsin River, 10270 County Rd Y, Mazomanie, WI (5 miles outside of Sauk City). Camping is encouraged (we have plenty of room) and if you feel inclined, you could bring a canoe or kayak for some time on the river. An island behind the property would make a quieter and more private place to camp.
We will have a grill or two available for cooking along with a couple of half barrels for consumption. Please bring your own food and chairs. We are suggesting a $10/person donation with proceeds going to the WCA: Helping secure a future for Wisconsin Climbing.
Please go to Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/events/482154778516968/?context=cre>>> if attending and pass this on to anyone who might be interested.
The WCA will also be organizing a project for the weekend to coincide with the event, details are to follow. Please contact me, Mike Lohre (mike@mikesmixture.com) or Adam Remus (adam@mikesmixture.com) if you have any questions about the party and John Dobbe (dobbefocus@gmail.com) with any questions about the WCA
Hope to see you there.
Mr. Mix (Mike Lohre)
facebook register Mike's Mix WCA

By highnoonhilltopper
Apr 1, 2013
j tree

YES DUDE!

By Woodchuck ATC
Apr 1, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Is this location somewhere upstream from the Mazo beach area? Just wondered.....not very familiar with that section of the river or access roads unless by the Mazo beach.

By Mr. Mix
From Sauk City, WI
Apr 2, 2013
Zane and me

We are approximately two miles up from the beach. Access is from Hwy Y which parallels the river until the beach.

By EB
From Winona
Apr 2, 2013

Sa-WEEET!

By Tradoholic
Apr 6, 2013

Be there or be square!

By Remo
From Madison, WI
Apr 25, 2013
Leading up Andromeda in cold and snowy conditions.

Hey all! In coordination with the Wisconsin Climbers Party, the Wisconsin Climbers Association is organizing a Garlic Mustard pull on the morning of Sat. May 11th at Devils Lake State Park. If your not familiar with GM, it's highly invasive and can take over a forest floor in a matter of a few years.

I have already made contact with park staff and they are really excited that we climbers are taking it upon ourselves to give back to the park and provide some well needed labor. Myself and my wife Kate with be leading groups and helping people identify garlic mustard and the proper pulling techniques.

The plan is to meet at the CCC parking lot in the morning and either work along the Grottos Trail towards Balance Rock trail or on top of the bluff near the East Bluff trail. The WCA will provide garbage bags, but we recommend volunteers bring extra water, and if need be pair of gloves for pulling. We plan on finishing up by noon, so people can have lunch and get out climbing before the party at Mike and Melissa's place.

Look for more details to come in the next few days.

Thanks, and I hope to see you out there.

Remo

By Gokul
Apr 25, 2013
At the "summit"

Remo, do you have an upper bound on the number of people you can reasonably use? Hoofers and the DLCCC will be happy to bring people in as well. If we end up with more people than is ideal for you, we can split up into two groups: one working the garlic mustard pull, and the other tackling the graffiti at Cleo's.

By Remo
From Madison, WI
Apr 26, 2013
Leading up Andromeda in cold and snowy conditions.

Gokul, we have no limit because we can just split up into smaller groups and tackle different areas. We can determine all that the morning of in the parking lot. Thank you guys for the interest in helping out!

By Mr. Mix
From Sauk City, WI
Apr 26, 2013
Zane and me

Although Remo is correct in that Garlic Mustard is a dangerous invasive species I must also point out that it is a very tasty wild edible and makes a terrific pesto. So my suggestion is to bring a bag home with you and use the tender young leaves to eat. I would be happy to post up a recipe for my pesto before the event if anyone is interested.
Mr. Mix

By Camden
From Madison, WI
Apr 26, 2013

I saw some of this last weekend somewhere just beyond the Old Sandstone area. Has this been a problem for a while or just recently? Sounds like it can be a real pain, good idea getting out there and clearing it up.

By Tradoholic
Apr 26, 2013

Also, I have heard that if you smoke it you will achieve enlightenment though fukness.

By Carl Sherven
May 2, 2013

Hey Remo! What time are you planning on meeting in the CCC lot? I've got some people from VE Warrenville, and also from Turners that may be able to come help out.

By Remo
From Madison, WI
May 2, 2013
Leading up Andromeda in cold and snowy conditions.

9:00am Carl.

By Woodchuck ATC
May 2, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Trad Nanny wrote:

..and here I thought we smoked every last weed of it in the park back in the 70's...guess someone slacked off the smoke and its back again!

By Remo
From Madison, WI
May 7, 2013
Leading up Andromeda in cold and snowy conditions.

Bump!

This weekend! Get pumped!

By Ryan Strong
From Golden, CO
May 27, 2013
Ryan sending Straight No Chaser at sundown. Photo:Ben Scheele.

Wondering if any one from the party lost a piece of gear?

I found a piece of glass in my puffy last night, and the last time i wore it was at the climbers party.

PM me if you have any info on who it belongs to or how I can return it.