Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
26 year old Lost climber in search of spiritual guidance
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 2 of 3.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Mar 25, 2013
Following up a new route out in the Mojave Desert....
Woodchuck ATC wrote:
You are a kid yet, got cash to spare, no house payments or property taxes to pay, no alimony or 'ex to deal with, you got it made! Head for a place where you can use your skills seasonally and have the rest of the year to go climb all you want, anywhere. Lots of opportunity out there for you!


+1

Talking to a counselor isn't necessarily going to help.

Here's a common theme you'll hear:

'change your environment'

I'd say go for it!

I wish I were in your position and was able to dirtbag around or hike the PCT.
Davis Stevenson
From Flagstaff, Arizona
Joined Dec 5, 2010
26 points
Mar 25, 2013
Me
It may sound corny but turning to God helped a lot of people in this situation. With God theres no betrayal just eternal love and forgiveness...it may teach you a thing or two about life... Does not matter what religion, God is universal. Liberty
Joined Mar 16, 2013
25 points
Mar 25, 2013
Following up a new route out in the Mojave Desert....
Marla J wrote:
It may sound corny but turning to God helped a lot of people in this situation. With God theres no betrayal just eternal love and forgiveness...it may teach you a thing or two about life... Does not matter what religion, God is universal.


Turning to god because he went through a break-up... Seriously?!?!

He's a bachelor again with some cash saved up, 2 cars, a love of climbing, and nothing tying him down anywhere, why would he need to turn to god?
Davis Stevenson
From Flagstaff, Arizona
Joined Dec 5, 2010
26 points
Mar 25, 2013
Me
Davis Stevenson wrote:
Turning to god because he went through a break-up... Seriously?!?! He's a bachelor again with some cash saved up, 2 cars, a love of climbing, and nothing tying him down anywhere, why would he need to turn to god?

He needs to draw inner strength, you are mentioning material things
Liberty
Joined Mar 16, 2013
25 points
Mar 25, 2013
On the plus side, you don't have to move to a shithole town with your bitchass ex-girlfriend.

Bring the dog. Are you really going to leave your dog at home? Most places you can't bring a dog to (e.g. Yosemite Valley) are way too hot in the summer/fall anyways. Unless you plan on doing lots of multipitch/backcountry/alpine. Then, the dog is not ideal.

If the Westfalia really runs like a champ, keep it. Much more comfortable on the road. Suby almost guaranteed to be more reliable, but you can fly home and get the Suby if the VW breaks down, right?

Whatever, just get out of Wisconsin. The Midwest is flat and mostly boring...I got out of there as soon as I could. Devil's Lake, Gov Dodge, Necedah, are just warming you up for some real climbing.
Lurker
Joined Nov 24, 2007
1,821 points
Mar 25, 2013
Following up a new route out in the Mojave Desert....
Marla J wrote:
He needs to draw inner strength, you are mentioning material things


A breakup is no big deal. It's the sense of freedom he now has that he can harness. Inner strength doesn't come from turning to god...

Why am I listening to you anyway, Troll?
Davis Stevenson
From Flagstaff, Arizona
Joined Dec 5, 2010
26 points
Mar 25, 2013
Me
Davis Stevenson wrote:
A breakup is no big deal. It's the sense of freedom he now has that he can harness. Inner strength doesn't come from turning to god... Why am I listening to you anyway, Troll?

Yes it does. To you a breakup may not be a big deal, to some losing a job can cause them to become depressed. This dude had a lot of emotional investment with the girl, like he said. Of course if you are a non believer turning to God will do you not much good...Climbing, boozing and bumming around is a temporary fix, money goes fast, he has a lot of ties to go on a journey, and he is not doing it at this point to soul search but as escapism. He is too much in control, or so he thinks...He needz to sit tight and let heal then pick up and go to whichever direction he chooses....
Liberty
Joined Mar 16, 2013
25 points
Mar 25, 2013
Tom on Cloud Peak, Bighorn Mtns, WY.  Blacktooth a...
J Q wrote:
Some spiritual guidance: Shoot the dog, burn the vans, and start a cult. You could even classify it as a religion and post up a way to join on this site. I would join. I want every fucking religious holiday known to climbers, especially the all so sacred "sentember" rituals where the proj goes down and the gnar gets the send! There is your spiritual guidance, now pony up and do the leg work. The MP community will appreciate.


I love MP, thanks for the laugh...good stuff JQ
Tommy Layback
From Sheridan, WY
Joined Jan 7, 2011
111 points
Mar 26, 2013
Valor Over Discretion (5.8), RRG
Marla J wrote:
Yes it does. To you a breakup may not be a big deal, to some losing a job can cause them to become depressed. This dude had a lot of emotional investment with the girl, like he said. Of course if you are a non believer turning to God will do you not much good...Climbing, boozing and bumming around is a temporary fix, money goes fast, he has a lot of ties to go on a journey, and he is not doing it at this point to soul search but as escapism. He is too much in control, or so he thinks...He needz to sit tight and let heal then pick up and go to whichever direction he chooses....

Good gravy. You just have this dude all figured out, huh?

How about we stay on the topic--"what would you do in my place?" and not "please diagnose my psychological issues and best solutions."

Ryan...if I were in your shoes I'd sell both vehicles, buy something better, and take the dog with me. A change of scenery always helps me clear the air and a traveling companion is nice.
Brian Hudson
From Lenoir, NC
Joined Dec 10, 2010
112 points
Mar 26, 2013
Me
Brian Hudson wrote:
Good gravy. You just have this dude all figured out, huh? How about we stay on the topic--"what would you do in my place?" and not "please diagnose my psychological issues and best solutions." Ryan...if I were in your shoes I'd sell both vehicles, buy something better, and take the dog with me. A change of scenery always helps me clear the air and a traveling companion is nice.

What I would do? I would say to her : go in peace, then spend a lot of cash on me, like spa treatments and all, wallow in my sorrow by dining out a bunch, take and extended guided trip to Nepal, then sell everything and downsize to a car/home and go state to state supporting myself with temp contract jobs with the man of my choice....kinda what I do..
Liberty
Joined Mar 16, 2013
25 points
Mar 26, 2013
A 12 pack and a lap dance will help you find your answers. Superclimber
Joined Mar 7, 2009
1,486 points
Mar 26, 2013
Chris Miller wrote:
A 12 pack and a lap dance will help you find your answers.


I'm with this guy.
todd w
Joined May 5, 2008
2 points
Mar 26, 2013
Ryan sending Straight No Chaser at sundown. Photo:...
Wow I am suprised with the amount of responses. After reading all of them I realize how petty my "problems" are . I do how ever appreciate all of the insight I have received!!

As far as the westy goes I have considered replacing engine , but I was told from a buddy it would run me somewhere in the $4k area. I think the van is loosing coolant , but at a very slow rate. When I changed the plugs on it this summer I realized the 3 on the one side showed signs of corrosion I figure coming from a leaky head?

Hey Mike Lane, I would say I am a fitter that can weld. I currently hold the UA 21 (high pressure stick weld cert) and on May 4th I'm taking the test for the food grade stainless fusion weld cert. Maybe we could exchange emails I would like to ask you some more questions about that TIC you mentioned earlier.

Either way thanks again for the advice from all.
Ryan Strong
From Golden, CO
Joined Mar 13, 2010
1,821 points
Mar 26, 2013
personal photo
A 100 day road trip with Marla-nor sounds like the next great novel. Mic Fairchild
From Boulder
Joined Jan 14, 2003
401 points
Mar 26, 2013
Stabby
Ryan Strong wrote:
Wow I am suprised with the amount of responses. After reading all of them I realize how petty my "problems" are . I do how ever appreciate all of the insight I have received!! As far as the westy goes I have considered replacing engine , but I was told from a buddy it would run me somewhere in the $4k area. I think the van is loosing coolant , but at a very slow rate. When I changed the plugs on it this summer I realized the 3 on the one side showed signs of corrosion I figure coming from a leaky head? Hey Mike Lane, I would say I am a fitter that can weld. I currently hold the UA 21 (high pressure stick weld cert) and on May 4th I'm taking the test for the food grade stainless fusion weld cert. Maybe we could exchange emails I would like to ask you some more questions about that TIC you mentioned earlier. Either way thanks again for the advice from all.

Any time bud.
Mike Lane
From Centennial, CO
Joined Jan 21, 2006
839 points
Mar 26, 2013
Mashers Tower
The advice to ditch the soob and hit the road in the VW Mustfailya...

This is not good advice
Cornelius Jefferson
Joined Apr 5, 2006
163 points
Mar 26, 2013
 Morning Dew ,self portrait
Petty is right. No wonder the lady left. Make way for the wambulance. s.price
From PS,CO
Joined Dec 1, 2010
1,366 points
Mar 26, 2013
Stabby
^^^Yo, how's that whiskey coming along? Eager to try it as I'm a huge fan of CO whiskies Mike Lane
From Centennial, CO
Joined Jan 21, 2006
839 points
Mar 26, 2013
Skull cave, Rifle, CO  awesome shot nate!
CJC wrote:
The advice to ditch the soob and hit the road in the VW Mustfailya... This is not good advice


I concur, if the soob is running good sell the westy, leave the dog with ma. I'm sure most have been where your at. life has a way of fucking up plans, put the past behind you and get excited about the potential before you

a side note, I dont own a dog. friends with dogs on the road tend to run into issues(hotel rooms, crags, covert camping etc).
ptrgeorge
From Houston, TX
Joined Sep 18, 2011
746 points
Mar 26, 2013
Put the soobie engine in the Westy. THen hit the road... with a wrench in your pocket of course. Dave Jones
Joined Aug 2, 2011
15 points
Mar 26, 2013
 Morning Dew ,self portrait
Mike, whisky coming along. Planning a July release. Have had some serious health problems which has slowed us down a little. Did not get to do Italy either due to health. s.price
From PS,CO
Joined Dec 1, 2010
1,366 points
Mar 26, 2013
Me
Mic Fairchild wrote:
A 100 day road trip with Marla-nor sounds like the next great novel.

You are funny ...and I respect your work!
Liberty
Joined Mar 16, 2013
25 points
Mar 26, 2013
Me
One thing I learned in life is that theres always somebody worse off and better off than you. Also that as different as we all are we are the same in basic needs. I greatly admire peoples preseverance and the power of motivation more than anything material. Stay true to your passion! Liberty
Joined Mar 16, 2013
25 points
Mar 27, 2013
J-tree
I don't think you know how lucky you are. I'm your age and If I had the opportunity to take a month or longer off of work to climb I would absolutely take my dog and hit up every and any place that allowed. At least you have a vehicle (not to mention a second) and someone to watch your dog if needed .

Enjoy it while you can

~Katie
Katiekorn
Joined Jan 2, 2013
25 points
Mar 28, 2013
Davis Stevenson wrote:
Turning to god because he went through a break-up... Seriously?!?! He's a bachelor again with some cash saved up, 2 cars, a love of climbing, and nothing tying him down anywhere, why would he need to turn to god?


“You need to spend time alone so that you can find the balance, the middle ground. That's what I always do, because I'm a Buddhist.”

-God
Superclimber
Joined Mar 7, 2009
1,486 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 2 of 3.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3   Next>   Last>>
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!