2 NC lady climbers in need of some beta

By Annelise
Feb 27, 2013

Hey all!

A friend and I are headed to Vegas for work conferences ( exercise physiology/ emergency medicine). We are planning to climb the weekend of March 16-17th. We are looking to get on some sport routes, anything from 5.7-5.10b/c. We will have our own gear- but we sure could use a little beta about the best place to go. Also, if anyone was heading out that weekend- we would love to join some folks that know the area. Let me know what ya think. Thanks!!

Annelise

By EricSchmidt
Feb 27, 2013

Black corridor would have the most climbs, might be cold as its mostly shady but out of the wind at least. Panty Wall has some nice easier ones and is sunny. Magic Bus I think has some decent ones and also in the sun.

By Graham S
From Riverside, CA
Feb 27, 2013
Mt. Whitney

anything at the first or second pullout is fair game. If you're looking for multipitch, brownstone wall is pretty popular if you like that kind of thing. dark corridor is good if it's going to be hot. majic school bus has some fun moderates too.

Go to the red rocks destination link, then look on the left tab, 'Best routes for me in this area'. enter in what you're looking for and viola, lots to choose from. Or, click on the link below.

www.mountainproject.com/scripts/Search.php?searchType=routeF>>>

By Mostafa
From Las Vegas, NV
Feb 27, 2013
Cujo 5.11d Red Rocks

You could split your days up and visit first and second pullouts. My suggestion would be:

Day 1 - Go to hamlet www.mountainproject.com/v/the-hamlet/106118838 and/or panty wall www.mountainproject.com/v/panty-wall/105732045
do a variety of 5.7-5.9 climbing. On the lower tier of hamlet to the left of the TR stuff is a wall called j wall www.mountainproject.com/v/the-j-wall/107959330
it has a coule 5.10- . After on your way out you can head to two different locations dog wall www.mountainproject.com/v/dog-wall/105732039
you can do a 5.10a and 5.10b and at tiger stripe www.mountainproject.com/v/tiger-stripe-wall/105732048 you can do two 5.10b.

Day 2 - Go to hunter s thompson dome www.mountainproject.com/v/hunter-s-thompson-dome/105732051 do some 5.8-5.10c climbing and then you have a few options 1. Black Corridor www.mountainproject.com/v/black-corridor/105732030 you will get in a lot of climbing at the grade your looking for. 2. Stone wall www.mountainproject.com/v/stone-wall/105820170 you can climb some more 5.10s in your range. 3. Meet up wall www.mountainproject.com/v/meetup-wall/107151123 5.7-5.10a climbing.

Options 1-3 depending on how crowded they are. If you choose option 3 I would head there first (its a little out of the way) and then hit the other places on way out. Magic bus is cool spot to visit too I find it to be a little out of the way.

Another option for Day 2 would be go to the Gallery www.mountainproject.com/v/the-gallery/105731999 variety of climbing in your range and then from there go to wall of confusion www.mountainproject.com/v/wall-of-confusion/105808903 for 5.10b and 5.10c.

You can mix up the days however that is just my suggestion. Good luck!

By Jay Holland
From Henderson, NV
Feb 28, 2013
landshark

Big Bad Wolf is a good sport muli pitch, and you don't have to drive into the park.
www.mountainproject.com/v/big-bad-wolf/107339211

By kmaxson
Feb 28, 2013

My Husband and I are currently climbing in Red Rocks. A small hiccup that we have run into is that there are some discrepancies in the info that the guide books give. Like approaches and distances. Also Mountain Project has some info that the books don't have and the books have info Mountain Project doesn't. It is a good idea to have both. The climbing shop in town on 8221s Charleston St. is a fantastic shop and the guys there are really nice an have tons of info if you have any questions. Also we aren't used to climbing sandstone (it freaks us out a little, soooo soft!!) so we have found some limestone areas to play around in. We are hitting up Water World today so I will get back to you with info on that. It is very close to town. I am from Asheville and miss NC so much. I hope you have a fantastic trip out here, and give NC a hug for me!

By Annelise
Mar 12, 2013

Thanks everyone for all the beta!! We are getting excited for this upcoming weekend!