|By Chris Owen|
From: La Crescenta and Big Bear Lake
Jan 20, 2010
One of these bit me once, November 1995. Spent a week in Joshua Tree Hospital, 3 days in the ICU, got lots of anti-venom, antibiotics and a tetanus injection. My arm swelled up like a loaf of bread, pasty white dough which would hold impressions, and 5 fingernail sticking out of the end of it. I was bitten on the wrist joint, but suffered no long term effects - except for developing a forked tongue ;-)
Two weeks later I started to swell up again - an allergic reaction to the anti-venom, covered in hives for a week with swelling at the bite site.
I was climbing at Ellesmere Island.