10 Reasons Climbers are Successful in Life

Apr 21, 2013

10 Reasons Climbers are Successful in Life

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Apr 21, 2013
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

In #6, it says "a sign of how sadistic" climbers are. Shouldn't this be "masochistic"?

Regardless, this article is awesome! Any of you dirtbags out there hitting the job market now, read this. I've strategically mentioned my climbing experience during job interviews a lot. It always sparks interest, prompts curiosity, and opens up the floor for you to describe what it's like and draw parallels to your professional character.

Way to give 130%!

By Max Supertramp
Apr 21, 2013

horse puckey if you ask me.

By Bang
From Charlottesville, VA
Apr 21, 2013
Thanks Hank Caylor!

With all due respect, #3 saying "Someone who on one day had to use a cut piece of backpack strap to build an anchor in order to safely lower off of a long route in the waning daylight"

Is it really that smart? We all know backpack strap webbing are not rated for taking too much load. Unless that backpack is made with climbing webbing

By Zappatista
Apr 21, 2013
Book me, officer.

Retitle this thread "It's Sunday, the Sun Is Shining, And Me And The Rest of The Cool Kids Are Inside, Debating Minutae", please.

For the record, I spend the morning doing things that are illegal in Utah and am exempt from anything involving coolness, now and forever. Hence my good mood. Time to go catch a sunburn and split my tips!

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Apr 21, 2013
El Chorro

I can't even bring myself to read that. There should be a vomit icon for this kind of thing.

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Apr 21, 2013
You stay away from mah pig!

Ryan Williams wrote:

Word.

Oh, and that author really needs to learn proper apostrophe use.

By Jason Kim
From San Diego, CA
Apr 21, 2013
Descending Cox Col (Bear Creek Spire). Photo by Ryan Slaybaugh. <br />

I am left wondering what the 10 reasons are. He listed 13.

By Dana Bartlett
From CT
Apr 21, 2013

It's no surprise. Most grew up with privileges, their parents paid for a good education, and they are devotedly middle class in temperament and aspirations. Climbers are just average people with a slightly unusual hobby, nothing more.

By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Apr 21, 2013

Gheyest. Blog. Ever.

By tw160504
From fort collins, co
Apr 21, 2013

#14 They are good at kissing their own asses with big heads

By Dana Bartlett
From CT
Apr 22, 2013

And I think we're wasting our money using drones to hunt terrorists. Climbing blogs would be better targets.

By MJMobes
From The land of steady habits
modern man

By Morgan Patterson
Stoked...

Fall Guy wrote:
so after all the sparkling reviews of yet another dudes blog I didnt open it but I will say of all sports/hobbies I have been involved with, ultimate players are the most successful in life. climbers tend to smoke too much dope, dont like real jobs and are just dirty, lazy turds in general.

hahaha awesome... wanna toss the B after work today dude?

By robrobrobrob
Apr 22, 2013

Who said climbers are successful in life? By whose metric? And.. all climbers, or just some?

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

robrobrobrob wrote:

I will further complicate the quandary: what is success in life?

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Apr 22, 2013
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after a day of cragging.

Ben Brotelho wrote:
I will further complicate the quandary: what is success in life?

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

And regarding #4, I meditate like a motherfucker and get Elvis leg whenever I'm a few feet above small gear so this one gets a big WTF from me.

By S Denny
From Carbondale, CO
Apr 22, 2013

that seriously might be the worst climbing blog on the internet

By Jeff Kent
From Sedona, Az
Apr 22, 2013

That was the dumbest sh!t I have read in a long time. Not that I came close to finishing it.

By kurt gregory
From reading, pa
Apr 22, 2013

This blog touched on a few things unique to climbing/climbers, but it certainly didn't warrant a 10-13 point article about it. I haven't been to a crag yet that I didn't come across a couple of bums who were being a general nuisance to the climbing community. Certainly not an example of sucess. This truly could be applied to any sport. This is something I would expect to read on the wall of a guidance counselor's office at a high school. Oh and as sucessful as we climbers are, if we go by your shining example we are certainly terrible at grammar and spelling which, if I'm not mistaken, is rather important to being sucessful in the business world.

It was a good idea at heart but the execution was terrible.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
OTL

Ben Brotelho wrote:
I will further complicate the quandary: what is success in life?

Procreation.
Welfare Queens have us all beat.

The solo dirtbag climber is quite unsuccessful in life.

By Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Epic free solo with a pack on

Matt N wrote:
Procreation. Welfare Queens have us all beat. The solo dirtbag climber is quite unsuccessful in life.

This is probably the most realistic answer anyone could have given. I am quite unsuccessful at life myself, by that definition, and I hope to be for quite some time.

By Evan Sanders
From Westminster, CO
Flaming Pumpkin

There is so much advertising crammed into the article I didn't even want to read it.

By Sir Wanksalot
From County Jail
Apr 22, 2013

The most successful climbers I know don't have a job.

By Alex Washburne
Apr 22, 2013
I eat crack for breakfast.

Correlation does not imply causation. Climbing may make people "successful", or "successful" people may be more prone to climbing.

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
...

"10 unsuccessful Climbers with no reason in Life".

Probably closer to correct.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>