Home - Destinations - iPhone/Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED


Member Since: Jul 7, 2005
Last Visit: 1 hour ago
Contact KCP


Point Rank: # 1,031
Total Points: 566
Last Year: 200
Last 30 Days: 1
36 Compliments
How do you get points?
Areas are worth 15
Routes are worth 10
Photos are worth 5
Comments are worth 1



Where has KCP been climbing?










Contributions


All (2017) | Routes (7) | Areas | Photos (53) | Comments (231) | Posts (1457) | Stars (153) | Ratings (116)
Page 7 of 10.  <<First   <Prev   5  6  7  8  9   Next>   Last>>

Contributed Comments

 

Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: Jun 2, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Dean’s NPR discussion has reaffirmed my position on the Delicate Arch matter. It also reaffirms my belief that climbers, in general, are not as informed as we should be, regarding the environments in which we indulge our sense of adventure. What has surprised and disturbed me, however, is how premature so many members of the climbing community were in trying to convict and defame one of their peers, without first procuring the requisite facts and hearing all sides of the story.

I want to try to... more >>


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: Jun 1, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: There is no fame in being quoted out of context.


These quotes basically sum it up for me:

- "Arches officials have decided Potter's climb was not illegal, due to vaguely worded regulations that have since been made crystal clear to prohibit any more arch climbs."

- "The voice of the community is important to me," he said. "My views are not concrete. I'm open to change." In a private e-mail exchange among colleagues, Potter also said climbing the arch represented his "freedom of expression... more >>


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 28, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Lowell,

Now you are building a straw man. Nice try, but the "big" difference is that the act, per se, of releasing the worm was the crime, regardless of the perpetrator's impetous.

That Dean has broken a law has not been established, and no charges have been filed. The use of white chalk seems to have been an infraction of stated rules, although I highly doubt that such an act, per se, would be worthy of all of this attention.

Phil is now playing a similiar game, by saying that his relative ... more >>


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 27, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Phil,

Let's start with this one:

Phil Broscovak wrote: "The next time a Red Rocks park rangeracts like a power tripping Nazi to me I will say THANK YOU DEAN!"

Sounds like a clear conviction of guilt to me.

Then there is this one:

Phil Broscovak wrote: "A spiritual adventure my ass. This was a photo-op and a shameless act of self agrandizment! Dean, you are a great climber why do you have to blow your load for 45 feet of bullshit??

So not only are you chastising Dean for poaching this lan... more >>


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 26, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Brad,

I am ignorant about none of it. You clearly aren't hearing what I've said.

The sensitive relationship between the NPS and the climbing community, in the context in which some of you are portraying it, is a farce. I contend that the rules were nebulous, at best, and that they needed to be clarified. Now they are.

After three decades in this sport, as guide, instructor, sponsored climber, and professional sports photographer, I believe that I have a pretty clear understanding of how sens... more >>


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 25, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Bruce,

Whether or not you realize it, you are now getting to the heart of the real issue. This has been NPS's attitude the entire time, and it was only a matter of time and an excuse - any excuse - to implement their real agenda.

This is why I said that we should be directing our attention on them -
not Dean. He is a very small fish in the scheme of things. Making him a scapegoat is a complete waste of time.

Acquiescing to NPS's whims will do little toward preserving climber access. The cli... more >>


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 25, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Brad,

If that is the most ignorant thing that you have read online, then you clearly haven't read much at all.

Can you prove that he didn't receive permission from a park official? Moreover, please show us where he has officially been indicted of a crime. Otherwise, yours is the ignorant statement.

His action is not automatically wrong because some climbers and park officials aren't happy with it.

This topic is beat. Go climb, and get over it. All that has happened is that DA is now officia... more >>


Location: UT : Wasatch Range : Big Cottonwood Canyon : Salt Lake Slips : Accident at the Slips
By: KCP When: May 24, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: To Matt,

The solution is simple. Submit a proposal to the park service. Afterall, managing that land is their responsibility, which makes them directly culpable for everything that happens withing its boundaries.

To Rebecca,

You post is refreshing. Thank you.


Location: UT : Wasatch Range : Big Cottonwood Canyon : Salt Lake Slips : Accident at the Slips
By: KCP When: May 24, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Thanks, John, for coming to the understanding of how serious this situation is.

Per my last Email response to you, I am posting our conversation here. It is not my intention to embarrass you, nor should you feel that way. My reason for posting them is that your initial feelings are probably consistent with those of some of the other members here, who aren't yet seeing the big picture. My hope is that the progression of our conversation will help to enlighten those individuals. Again, thank you ... more >>


Location: UT : Wasatch Range : Big Cottonwood Canyon : Salt Lake Slips : Accident at the Slips
By: KCP When: May 23, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Jake,

Your comment is pure bulls##t, and you need to sit down and think about what has happened here. I know as well as anyone what the rules of nature are. This is different, and this community needs to start paying attention to how their actions affect others.

That area is not the wilderness. It is a high-profile tourist stop, which sees traffic from children all of the time. That lower rope was utter nonsense, and it should have come down when we all last discussed this.

KC


Location: UT : Wasatch Range : Big Cottonwood Canyon : Salt Lake Slips : Accident at the Slips
By: KCP When: May 23, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: John J. Glime wrote: "Was there any reason why the lower 'foot' section hadn't been taken down as was our consensus last year? Anyone willing to go take it down now?"

Frankly, John, I am infuriated buy your comment. It is completely disingenuous.

I addressed the issue of the dangerous nature of the double-rope traverse, last year, in two long climbingsaltlake.com threads in which you took part. The overwhelming response to my concerns was that I was an overreacting troublemaker, who should f... more >>


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 21, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: ATS wrote: "Your posts have been offensive."" No they haven't. If one reads this thread in its entirety, one would see who stands as being "offensive." Other threads you have been involved in have a similar theme. That's too bad, and I take pity...."

If you are referring to the thread in which I was trying to enlighten the Salt Lake climbing community to the dangerous nature of the double-rope traverse, at The Slips" then you are "again" completely off the mark. The local news just reported - f... more >>


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 21, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: ATS,

Your posts have been offensive. You and Henry have continually insulted me for not joining in on the which hunt.

Now you have posted a private Email - and I was taking bets that you would - which proves that you are more interested in flaming me than in intelligently and maturely discussing the issue. Your need for attention is getting tiresome.

Here it is: I meant everything that I said in that Email. You are adding nothing productive to this discussion. I haven't attacked the messenge... more >>


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 20, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: ATS,

Feel free to debate the issues.


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 20, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: ATS wrote: “Well said Bradford. With one or two verbose exceptions, I think all of us in this forum understand what went on there, and the lack of foresight and respect that occurred. “

ATS,

Insulting those of us with a more rational view does little to validate your argument.

What do you actually know about how much or little forethought preceded Dean’s decision to free solo Delicate Arch? You seem to speak only from a climber’s mindset, which places you squarely in the minority. “When you ... more >>


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 20, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Larry wrote: “It was not me who wrote that. I just wanted to include the response of one closer to the nps.”

Please accept my apology for the mistake.

Larry wrote: “It doesn't matter whether your argument is valid. What matters is the repurcussions from the event.”

The repercussions (new restrictions) from Dean’s ascent should be held in question by the entire climbing community for the simple reason that they are not justified. They have no direct relationship to his alleged indiscretion. A... more >>


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 19, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Phil,

Your post makes no sense - none. Sight an example of this alleged double speak. Trust me, Phil. If this were you on the firing line, and you knew that you were being unjustly hammered, you would be thankful for my position.


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 19, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Larry,

Doesn't it seem a bit odd to you that the nps would specifically ban nailing and placing anchors on towers as punishment for one person's free solo of DA? Moreover, wouldn't you agree that punishing the entire climbing community for the - at best - questionable actions of one to be excessive?

I'm not buying it, Larry, just as I didn't buy Bush's excuse for invading Iraq. As a park service official, you could have posted something more informative and enlightening than that.

Forget tryi... more >>


Location: Updated Arches regulations
By: KCP When: May 19, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Sure, Tea. Like I said: What do nailing and placing anchors have to do with Dean's free soloing DA? When you can answer that, then we'll talk. Until then, I'll defer to common sense and deductive reasoning.

If it waddles and quacks like a duck, it usually is.


Location: Updated Arches regulations
By: KCP When: May 19, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Bruce Hildenbrand wrote: "Let's face the facts. Dean has been pushing the NPS's buttons for a while, first with his slacklining and now with the highly publicized ascent of Delicate Arch."

I see. So Dean is the only person to have slacklined in that area? It's all his fault. None of this stuff was on the minds of this superintendent before Dean climbed the arch? Please explain to me what banning anchors has to do with climbing the arch, that there had to be an emergency moratorium. I am all ear... more >>


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 19, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Here is a quote by ProfessorFate, in Supertopo, which I believe warrants serious consideration before you send Dean down in a ball of flames.

ProfessorFate wrote: "Too quick to be exclusively a reaction. Bureaucracies do not move that fast. They were waiting to do it. They just used Dean-gate as the catalyst/excuse."

Now is especially not the time for visceral, knee-jerk accusations like: "Thanks, Dean."


Location: Updated Arches regulations
By: KCP When: May 19, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: Here is a quote by ProfessorFate, in Supertopo, which I believe warrants serious consideration before you send Dean down in a ball of flames.

Professor Fate wrote: "Too quick to be exclusively a reaction. Bureaucracies do not move that fast. They were waiting to do it. They just used Dean-gate as the catalyst/excuse."

Now is especially not the time for visceral, knee-jerk accusations like: "Thanks, Dean."


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 17, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: I was almost bullied out of this forum, because of my position, which, after some thought, caused me to decide that I am not done here. Caveat: For those of you, who don’t like what I have to say, block your ears.

I went to two major climbing stores and one bike shop, today, and I spoke to seven local climbers and three non-climbers. Here is what they had to say, in a nutshell: No Big Deal. In fact, two of them hadn’t even heard of the incident. When I asked those two how often they climb, one ... more >>


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 17, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: In the spirit of not further inflaming the situation, I will state my position on a few of the matters thus far discussed, and then I will bow out of the discussion.

1) I believe that the rules regarding DA were unclear, and I am inclined to believe that Dean believed that he was not breaking them at the time of his ascent.

2) I am happy, regardless of the source of inspiration, that the rules regarding DA have been made explicit. I am also happy that measures will be taken to preserve this la... more >>


Location: Delicate Arch Climbed!
By: KCP When: May 17, 2006

view comment >>
Comments: "I might add I don't appreciate your personal 'attack' on George or Lowell. Those might be interpreted as violating Guideline #1.

Because of this, I am done debating with you. Hopefully, that is clear."

You are welcome to do as you please, and I will take no offense to your decision, either way. However, you insinuation that I have attacked George or Lowell is absurd. Suggesting that someone grow up, when they have made unsubstantiated accusations about a person's actions and character, ... more >>


Page 7 of 10.  <<First   <Prev   5  6  7  8  9   Next>   Last>>