Mountain Project Logo

Long Sleeping Bags?

Original Post
Perry Grandjean · · Colorado Springs · Joined Feb 2016 · Points: 5

I'm looking for recommendations from some really tall cold weather backpackers. What bags do you vertically advantaged people use to stay warm on a mountain in winter? I'm 6'7 and I have yet to find a sleeping bag that says it fits greater than 6'6.

I recently bought a Backside -50f that was listed as 88inches, more than enough for my 79" right? Well I couldn't completely get the mummy flap zipped close so apparently more than 9 inches goes to loft + top flap. It went to my wife who, at 6'3, loves it. I have found a few references to a 94 inch one but I'm unwilling to risk spending $400 for a bag that may or may not fit. I want something that will seal up as much as possible given the temps I'm trying to survive.

Feathered Friends 'Snowy Owl' model says it fits 78" long but it is only 86" on the outside. Maybe the breaking hole construction is what makes it shorter? Anyone have any advice or feedback?

bcaiell3 · · Beverly,MA · Joined Feb 2015 · Points: 0

I'm 6'6 and just got a north face inferno long bag they claimed it fits up to 6'7 and I believe it. I at least have a little wiggle room.

Matt Carroll · · Van · Joined Dec 2013 · Points: 249

FF is a pretty cool company, I would give them a call and talk to them. I bet they don't keep a hoard of snowy owls on deck, and at the very least can work with you to get you what you need. Considering your trying to survive, it would presumably be worth the extra 100 or whatever dollars to have them custom size you a bag that fits right. Just my .02

Edit:

We can make sleeping bags that are different lengths than our normal models. Please keep in mind, a custom length sleeping bag is normally made from scratch, typically taking 4 to 6 weeks to complete. We work in 6 inch increments, so we cannot, for instance, make a sleeping bag that is 5' 10" long. Most custom length fees range from $15 to $35 per sleeping bag, depending on the model. Call our Seattle store at (206) 292-2210 or email customerservice@featheredfriends.com for more information

From the FAQ on their website.

Guideline #1: Don't be a jerk.

Climbing Gear Discussion
Post a Reply to "Long Sleeping Bags?"

Welcome

Join the Community

Create your FREE account today!
Already have an account? Login to close this notice.

Get Started